Monday, October 31, 2005

12 Months and a Day

I’m late for everything! I’m even late in posting my retrospective on our blog-o-rific 1st year in the blogoshere. Mostly, it’s been a blast. I’ve learned a lot. I’ve become a better writer. I can type faster. And best of all, I’ve met some fantastic people. My "real life" has also changed dramatically, to some extent due to my experiences here.

Blog Motivation:
At this same time last year, I’d been living with Lu and Steve for about a month because I needed a break from my home life. During that time, my partner encouraged me to start a blog as a creative outlet. I wasn’t sold on the idea until I realized it could be a way to develop alliances among women with the concept of Hot Chiks. It also gave me a place to organize the multitude of stories and ideas that had been floating around in my head for years. I asked Lu to do it with me because everything’s better with Lu around.

Lu:
When we started, Lu posted fairly often. Most often she provided great exposure and education about the reality of living with Bipolar Disorder. Living with and accepting the reality of mental illness is something that is important to both of us. After a while, Lu’s Depression symptoms became too overwhelming for her to be able to actively participate. I still talk with her about the blog, and occasionally she offers input and ideas. Perhaps one day she’ll return to posting again.

Expectations and Happy Surprises:
I expected this to be a blog for women. I thought I'd write about positive sexuality and challenging traditional sex roles. I've written about those things, but I've found myself expanding to other topics as well, particularly the topic of Love.


I didn’t expect to attract numerous exceptionally wonderful men who seem to genuinely Love women. I suspect that some of them arrived here because they saw the name "2 Hot Chiks" and were intrigued by the idea. Others wandered over on a day when I’ve posted something about what I Love about men, or about 2005, the Year of Cunnilingus. Perhaps some have their own uniquely personal motivations.

I expected to get bored with this blog after a couple months. I’m still not bored. However, sometimes it does seem like work. It seems like the kind of job I’d Love to have. Writing is difficult for me. It takes time and effort. But when I finally produce something I’m happy with, it’s well worth the effort. It also makes me happy when I get positive feedback from generous friends like all'y’all.

I never expected to meet so many wonderful people.

New Friends:
A variety of people have come around this blog over the last year. A couple of them have been around for almost a year (Opaco and Ed). Kayten and Chick have been around the longest. They also attended the Valentine’s Day Hot Chik Fantasy Date in New York with Tiger, Red Naked Woman and Cricket.

Other people have stopped blogging this year. I miss them, but I understand that circumstances change. The former blogger I miss the most is John Q. Public, formerly known as Average Joe. We were good friends. I even had an opportunity to meet him in June. Even though he thought it was really funny to trap me in a revolving door at Water Tower place, we had the BEST time! (and no, he wasn't inside the revolving door with me. That would have been a much better idea).


I’ve made some damn good friends from blogging, four of which I’ve met face-to-face. I had lunch with the first, laughed my ass off with the second, fell in Love with number three (Wow, didn’t expect that!!!), and drank very good beer with the last. I’m hoping to meet three more fellow bloggers next month while I’m in California and another in December here in Iowa City.

I’ve developed a few strong relationships via email because of this blog. I value these relationships as much as I do the friends I have the fortune of being with in my non-electronic life. One of these friends is so very dear to me that I need to mention him specifically. I feel very lucky to have met Larry. He’s been one of the best friends I’ve ever known. Not only is he smart and talented, he’s also sweet, compassionate and wise. He calls himself a curmudgeon, but somehow he reserves a special form of gentleness for his friends.

I plan to continue this blogging adventure. And, even though it seems like it’s more like One Hot Chik lately, perhaps Lu will join us again soon.

13 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

DAMN!
I missed the Valentines Day Hot Chik Fantasy Date!
*pout*

*sigh* There's always THIS year! (lol)


Congrats again on your blogiversary!
I wish Lu all the best, and of course, you my hott-T.
You have provided much insight, inspiration and encouragement to me these last 7 months (whether you know it or not) and I'm so glad to have "found" you!

Thankyou Theresa, from the bottom of my heart.
*BIG SMOOCHES*

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger W. S. Cross said...

I'm glad to be included on your list of friends, and will be back often!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Congrats on your special day! I am so happy that your write this. I love your style and what you have to say!
If you are ever in Portland, we must meet! And California...maybe I can swing that...I'm going to be in San Fran in December...

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Thank you, also, for including my name. If not for my link creation ignorance, you and others would be on mine.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger AndyT13 said...

Happy/Merry/L'chaim/Shalom T

Thanks fer the nice comments on my HNT entry! It's nice to be appreciated. You inspire me to greater efforts to get buff. :-)

Pax Romana
A

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

I may be one of the men who thought he was going to find some hot girl-on-girl action here, but what I discovered turned out to be much more stimulating.
Sincere thanks for your hard work and smart words over the past year. You get better every day.
And I am too a curmudgeon!

My challenge word for this: hfctdjmh (!)

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Maverick said...

no way!! you hot chiks all met up together? that kind of blows my mind. good thing i wasn't there because at least half you wouildn't be married anymore!

:-)

you husbands will have to find a way to properly thank me

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

You heard from me, I think, because you kept making smartass and smart remarks on Revision99. And, please note, Larry's too nice to be a real curmudgeon. I eat curmudgeons like that two at a time for breakfast! (and they taste bad, too!)

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations! Really is a great blog with lots of great writing and convesations. You've created a little community here. . .

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Blaze - When we all put our imaginations together for a Hot Girl Date, the Hot Chik energy almost makes it real.

You're fantastic! Your survival spirit, sassiness, passion, courage and HUGE heart make you an inspiration for Hot Chiks everywhere.

Laurie - Thanks Sweetie!

W.S. - I meant to link you a while ago. I'm so terribly disorganized sometimes.

Julie - I'd Love to meet you too! I should tell my boss I need to make a trip to Portland soon. I just have to convince her that our Portland offices could use my help for a couple days. I also Love SF, but a group just returned from there today, so I think I'm out of luck.

Yoga - Thanks, and you're welcome. Any one of us, including my computer-ignorant-self would probably be happy to help you if you want to include links on your blog.

Andy - Thank you for the well wishes.
You have an absolutely adorable man-tummy. It's perfect as is. However, if you find inspiration for better health from compliments, I'm good for another dose any time.

Larry - hfctdjmh? I give up. How about a clue.
You're the the sweetest, most loveable curmudgeon I know.

S - Sadly, it was an imaginary date. Someday we should make it for real, especially if you're gonna be so sassy and sexy.

Ron - You're too sweet to ignore. I'm not sure if I visited you, or you visited me first.

Popeye - That's a fantastic compliment. I hope to be open and welcoming. I'm always glad when you visit.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Chick said...

I'm so glad you started this blog (& thanks for the mention)...I'll never leave you...

I know what it's like to start a blog with someone...then be on your own...so it goes...

Happy Blogiversary...Hottie!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Do Do Do do dododo
you say it's your blogiversary....

Sorry but way to many syllables

wish big when you blow out the candles

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Tiger said...

*~*~sending sweet soft Tigery hugs~*~* for Lu

(You as well, Theresa but... struggling with my own stuff in terms of depression... yeah. you make sure you pass those hugs on for me, hey?)

I'm glad you both made space here. :)
I'm glad I found that space.
xxoo,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home