Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Appreciation

I have a talent for finding and attracting talented and creative people. Most of my Lovers have been highly intelligent people. Those I’ve fallen in Love with have awed me with their brilliance. My friends tend to be articulate, well-read, and clever. Although I consider myself to be above average, I don’t even try to keep up with most of them. I’m generally content with the privilege of their company. Even if I were particularly talented in any one area, it’s useless to make a go of it because I’m too easily distracted to be successful. This is okay with me.

(And please, this is NOT and invitation to leave comments about how you think I’m smart or talented . . . this means you too, Zoooom).

In general, I think of myself as an ordinary middle-aged Hot Chik. I’m an average citizen; one of many, a part of the great mass. In movies, when there is a terrible apocalyptic event, like a plague or an alien invasion, I identify with the 95% that perish, not the 5% that survive to carry on the human race. I’m perfectly fine with the notion that I’m a member of the audience and not the main attraction (most of the time).

I’m actually really good in a crisis, and I don’t get stage fright. At the same time, I don’t have to be right, sit in the spotlight, or have the power in order to feel alright (most of the time). Someone has to follow orders, hoist the sail, and sit in the rows to clap and cheer. Someone has to appreciate the people who are especially good at things. That’s ME!

I’ve been an appreciative audience for many fellow bloggers. One of them has really captured my interest lately, so much so, that I want to mention him specifically. I’ve avoided doing blog reviews, but I can’t keep quiet about how frequently I’m awed by the writing of Stephen Earley Jordan, II (Bougie Black Boy).

Stephen writes about his own experiences. He writes about what he sees in others. He challenges the way we look at the world. Some of the things he writes about may make you squirm a bit. His words will get right up in your face and make you think. It’s not always pretty, but you'll find his poetry and prose to be striking, vivid and impactful. He has a gift for writing with grace, as well as maturity beyond his 28 years. Do yourselves a favor and go read his blog. Read the whole thing. You’ll be glad you did.


5 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankly, I just don't get it. His writings are not only drivel, but just rants. Theres very good out there, elsewhere. Why not find it.


Just me

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean come on, to write a post about his blog, I now think you are the one who needs go get a life instead of me.


just me

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger ZooooM said...

YOU AAAAAAAAAAAAAARE TALENTEDBRILLIANTARTISTICANDYOUROCK! And I ignore rules pretty well.

But yes, I've checked him out. And to learn that he's only 28 astounds me.

It is a thought provoking place.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Maverick said...

except you're NOT middle-aged, 50 is the new 30, i hear

Spitting in a Wishing Well

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Austin of Sundrip said...

well, despite the fact that some say that his writings aren't good and that they can't believe you did a blog review, I think it is quite nice that you've pointed others in his direction. I'm going to check out the journal for one reason and one reason only, he's Black. Perhaps that is worse than doing blog reviews in the mind of "just me." I'm a black woman that looks for other black bloggers who write about life experiences. so thanks for the tip.

Austin of Sundrip Journals

 

Post a Comment

<< Home