Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Heart For a Song

My favorite birthday present was a song. He called, then called back to my voicemail. The tiny bit of nervousness in his voice at the beginning made it all the sweeter. He pushed through and sang the words strong and true …
Let’s Get it On
I smiled over and over again as I listened to him sing to me a dozen times that day.

He still has a place in my heart. He resides there, or more accurately, the things I’ve collected of him are carefully stored there. I keep cherished bits of him that he’s shared, both on purpose and accidentally; memories of laughter and tenderness, healing words that still soothe, and waves of tears for lost dreams.

Sometimes I still ache, but mostly I feel blessed for loving such a man.

5 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger bluemountainmama said...

that's lovely, theresa. i think we all have little bits and pieces left in our hearts from those who have come along and left indelible marks there. it makes us who we are...

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

That's a great way to think about it. I like believing that the people I've loved are part of me.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Spin_Doc1 said...

You are amazing and extremely healthy.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Spin_Doc1 said...

Oh and Happy Birthday!

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(this is a good thing, I think)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home