Sunday, April 13, 2008

Love Hurts

I went to church this morning. Even though I have an odd sort of faith that I can’t quite put into words, I absolutely LOVE going to church. Being around other sinners makes me feel comfortable; sitting amongst a group of kind-hearted people makes me feel calm and peaceful; the patterns and rituals settle my soul.

One of the messages I’m often reminded of at church is to keep a generous and open heart even when I’m hurt or afraid. The world has enough pain and fear. I don’t need to add to it. This morning, while I was concentrating on how to be more loving, I thought about a man I work with. He aggravates the hell out of me. His rude, insulting interactions with me always test my limits. About 5 o’clock Friday afternoon, I seriously wanted to rip off his arm and beat him with it. That probably wouldn’t be a very Christian response.
*sigh*
Tomorrow, I won’t rip his arm off. I promise.

I prefer to love people who love me back. All of us do, don't we? However, sometimes there are sweet, unexpected rewards when I’m kind, understanding and generous with a difficult person. At the very least, I feel powerful. I don’t let them control me. I remain true to myself ... the master of my emotions. Even better, sometimes they stop acting like a jackass. That hardly ever happens when I'm defensive and hateful.
*sigh*
Tomorrow, I’m going to love the little prick til it hurts.

2 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger Chick said...

I like the traditions of religion too...it's comforting.

I think you should kill him with kindness...& if that doesn't work...beat the shit out of him with it.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

It takes A LOT to push me to my breaking point. Once it happens, I become even more determined. It's easy to be kind to nice people. Once in a while a challenge like this is good for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home