Sunday, April 20, 2008

Close Enough to Perfect

It’s been 4 months, 1 week and 4 days since we met. After our 3rd date I told him I didn’t think it would work out. I had my reasons and I didn’t lie. He was cool about it. I had other reasons that I kept to myself. When I think back, I was an idiot.

After a month and a few dates with some other guys, I was still thinking about him. He’d left the door open so I called. He was happy to hear from me and said he missed me. I was surprised how much the sound of his voice made me miss him too. We see each other a couple times a week now.

About a month ago he started calling every day. If it were anyone else, I’d probably find such a thing too clingy. There are few people I want to talk to on the phone every day, and no one I want to talk to for more than a few minutes. It’s weird how an hour or two can disappear when we’re laughing about stupid crap.

He has a romantic heart but he isn’t very romantic with me. I’m learning to notice the little things instead. Yesterday, my favorite salad dressing showed up in his refrigerator. A few weeks ago, an anonymous person paid the vet bill when my cat got sick and died. He changed my name in his cell phone to the silly pet name that he calls me when we’re alone together. Romance … I can live without pretty words and promises when his kisses are genuine.

He says he has "issues" and makes jokes about it. I have issues too. Things aren’t perfect. Is anything? Even my perfect red shoes hurt my feet after I’ve worn them a few hours. His number one goal is to not mess things up with me. With all the other good stuff between us, that’s close enough to perfect.

7 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Ed & Jeanne said...

Reminds me of dating! I just got out of that whirlwind exactly one year ago today. All my friends and co-workers are bummed because they were living vicariously through me and my dating adventures and disasters. All I know is that nobody is perfect; the question is, is the person you choose to be with perfect for you?

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

"With all the other good stuff between us, that’s close enough to perfect."

Darl .... that's the best ANY of us can hope for!

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Ve - That's exactly my life!!! All my friends are married and settled down but they loved hearing all about my social life. The girls at work even had me make a spreadsheet so they could keep track of all the guys I was dating.
I'm glad to be having a different kind of adventure for a change.

Blaze - I think I'm a very lucky girl.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger captain corky said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger captain corky said...

It sounds like he's doing ok so far. He's no Captain Corky mind you, but it's a very nice beginning. ;)

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Chick said...

First of all...awesome shoes! Any kind of maryjane gets my blood going!

Secondly, sometimes you have to really look hard to see the perfection in your life...I'm glad you found some.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

This makes me re-visit my relationship. I tend to always point out the flaws instead of looking at it the point of view you have presented. Thanks, Theresa!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home