Monday, December 11, 2006

Blogging about Blogging

One of the benefits of making friends in blog-space is how limitless it seems. This strange and wonderful little place allows us to meet people from all over the world. Likewise, from those thousands and thousands of global blog-inhabitants, we can choose very carefully the kind of people we care to spend our time with. It's different than making friends within our finite neighborhoods or small group of co-workers. Here, we're able to choose the most fitting friends rather than fit ourselves to those around us.

Additionally, in the blogosphere we can be who we want to be. In fact, we can even dare to be our true and genuine selves. And as we do so, we’re also free to respond to others. Or maybe we just watch and listen; we can even stare without seeming rude.

This way of meeting can also remove some of the superficial judgments we make about one another. It's true that some of us post photos, but anyone knows that a snapshot or two can't really show how someone appears in everyday life. In the end, those who read our thoughts are forced to judge us primarily by what we say rather than the style of our hair, the sound of our voice, the street we live on, or the balance in our bank account.

Email/Blog friendships also remind me of the way people used to communicate decades ago before telephones and affordable speedy transportation. Folks would write letters to one another. In fact, when I was little, my Grandmother made me practice penmanship while she lectured about the importance of good letter writing skills. She assured me that it would have an impact on my future social and business relationships. Back in the day, people would even court one another through written correspondence. Sometimes a couple wouldn't even meet until the wedding had been planned. So why does it surprise us when we develop remarkable fulfilling friendships, and even, every so often, fall in love in blogland?

I've made some phenomenal friends during my 2+ years in this space. You've added to the richness and beauty of my life. Thank you.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Helen Keller

11 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

...you make me feel like Spring has Sprung...

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger afuntanilla said...

WONDERFULLY written. ditto, ditto...

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

This was a nice, wholesome writeup... very well said. I miss you!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger i used to be me said...

Nice post, T. It's good to be reminded how cool this all is since we've gotten so used to the technology.

I used to write and receive tons of letters, I kinda miss that sometimes.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger nosthegametoo said...

The evolution of relationships is very surprising to me. Sometimes, you just never seem to know how and why they occur.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Happy Two Years. You've been an inspiration. We're going to have to tag up somewhere.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Polyman3 said...

I love my cyber-friends.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

Beautifully said, Theresa! I KNEW there was a reason I came to see your blog *grin*.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Ron: I don’t think it takes a lot to spring you!

Afunt: thanks, thanks…

Blaze: Oh dear! You know how I blush when my favorite Hot Chiks fuss over me like that. Thank you Sweetheart. Seems that we’ve been through a lot together, ahsn’t it?

Stephen: Thanks. It’s been a while since someone described anything here as “wholesome”. We definitely need to spend more time together!

UGenius: I wish I was better at sending out cards and letters. It’s fun to get things, other than bills, in the mail.

Nos: So, very true. That’s fun to think about sometimes, isn’t it?

GNGirl: Sounds like a great idea. Just promise you won’t get me in too much trouble.

PM3: We loves you too!

Aisha: Thanks sweet-girl. Yep, I’ve sort of had a bit of a blog-spurt lately. Who knows? Maybe I’ll keep it up.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Joy said...

What a wonderfully thoughtful post theresa! I agree wholeheartedly!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Clover Autrey said...

I've only been blogging for a few months, but you're right, it's a fascinating way to see other people you would never otherwise encounter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home