Tuesday, June 10, 2008

There's No Place Like Home


Iowa is a mess. First, tornadoes, then flooding.

One of my coworkers has a relative in an effected area. They lost their barn and silo in a tornado. Then, the father was in a terrible work related accident. Last night their house was flooded and the flooding caused an electrical fire. After surviving a tornado and a near fatal accident, this man and woman, and their three small children, stood in a field up to their knees in mud and watched their home go up in flames. This family, and so many others, are in my prayers.

Parts of my city are flooding but so far we've been spared the damage many of our neighboring towns are suffering. An EF5 tornado, 1 mile wide, leveled the town of Parkersburg. Yesterday, Mason City lost 3 of their 4 bridges. More rain is expected in the coming days.
I live 3 blocks from the Iowa River; however, my home sits on a bit of a hill. There was a bad flood here about 15 years ago but according to my neighbors, the water didn't come anywhere near our houses. Right now, I feel fairly safe. If I don't later on, I have many friends with comfy, vacant couches.

We have one non-flooded park left in the city. After work last night, the Man invited me to join him for a picnic in a gazebo at the park (because that's what people who are "just friends" do ... a bit confusing, but that's another story). It was raining lightly, but nothing like the terrible storms we've had the last several weeks. As we were leaving the park, the setting sun broke through the clouds and created one of the biggest, brightest rainbows I've ever seen. It reminded me that even the worst of times don’t last forever.

Today is a sunny, breezy 75 degrees
... and I'm counting my blessings.

10 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger Chick said...

These people are in my thoughts too.

Why is it so hard to count your blessings sometimes? (I don't know the answer).

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

My thoughts are with them ... and with you as well.

Stay safe my beautiful friend!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Ed & Jeanne said...

Boy, what a mess. Glad you are ok. Oh...you're naked skydiving request is posted on my blog today (Thu). Be afraid...and enjoy!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Joy said...

I'm so glad you're okay T!
As for "the man", it sounds like he needs a good knock on the head. I know people...... ;)

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Chick - Things are getting worse here for everyone. I'm blessed to be merely inconvenienced ... so far. I'm only 3 blocks from the river. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Blaze - thank you. I'm thinking of you too.

Ve - Very fun blog post!!!

Joy - Thanks. And thanks for offering to help the man get less confused.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger bluemountainmama said...

i thought of you as i read about the storms in iowa. i hope the water stays down for you. we had flooding here in may and some very nasty storms last week. but nothing like you guys are getting.

yes, DO stay safe!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Blue - Seems like everyone gets their share of disasters. This one is particularly challenging. Thanks for your good wishes.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger ZooooM said...

I've been wondering how you were doing and if you were near all of this. As I watch the news, I become ever more hesitant to check the following day as it seems to just keep hammering you guys. Even if I didn't have any connection to Iowa, my heart would and still breaks for all the victims of nature.

I hope the worst is over and take care of yourself and those around you.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Zoom - Thank you for your thoughts. It seems that the worst is over. Now, the hard work begins ... clean up! Once the water goes down, there's going to be a lot to do.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous FAKE TOEFL CERTIFICATE FOR SALE said...

It was an absolute joy to come across this webpage. This is truely top rated content. The carefully articulated writing is evident of English language skills that can only be obtained with our TOEFL CERTIFICATE FOR SALE​ ​ . You could prove yourself a master of the English language too since we have made it super easy to GET TOEFL CERTIFICATE ONLINE​ ​ . I'll definitely bookmark this link to come back for more informative content every now and then. Cheers mate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home