Sunday, June 15, 2008

500 Year Flood

This is the trail that I normally take for my morning walk. It's 2 blocks from my house.

This street is 4 blocks away. The animal shelter is at the end.

A street five blocks away ...
They say a flood like this only happens once every 500 years.

Things will never be the same. 18 buildings at the University of Iowa have been flooded, including the main library, student union and the art building; homes and businesses are ruined; and thousands of people are indefinitely displaced.

One of my best friends/co-workers had to evacuate his 2nd floor apartment last Thursday. The water reached his level yesterday. He's safely staying with family 2 hours away. However, he can't get to work and our company won't pay him for the time he's away. It will be a week or two before he can return. When I talked to him today, he said that he'll come back for his salvaged belongings, but he's not returning to Iowa City.

The main highway between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids has been closed for 3 days and may be closed for another 4 days. The two cities are closely connected in many ways. Many of my friends and co-workers live there. Currently, the recommended detour to Cedar Rapids is through Des Moines. That's a 281 mile trip one way. Normally, it's a quick 25 mile drive.

Iowa City has been fortunate compared to Cedar Rapids. The damage hasn’t been as severe and we didn’t lose water or power. Also, because our river is controlled by a reservoir system, we had more time to prepare.

Like thousands of other volunteers, I spent many hours sand-bagging the last couple days. Our efforts made a difference as many properties were spared damage. Today, we're feeling relieved as we learned that the river has crested.

Now, the hard work begins for so many people. Clean-up, repair, and recovery. I'll pitch in and do everything I can, but for me, it's a choice not a requirement because I haven't been directly affected.

Once again, I've been spared personal loss. Two years ago, a tornado struck one block from my house taking several homes and businesses. This year, the flood water came within two blocks of me.

I'm a very lucky girl.

10 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

Ack! I'm glad you're OK, and so sorry for your friends and your town. You are a charmed person.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

Some girls have Mojo, whether they are demonstrative or not. Yours is working, I observe. Hope it lasts.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

I remember the tornadoes.

It's strange how closely we're connected.
I escaped major damage from the hurricanes of 2004, and I missed the tornadoes of last year and this year. I have also managed to escape the wildfires that have been all around me lately.

I think Mother nature is afraid of me. :D (LOL)
Stay safe T.
I am thinking of you, and of all those that have not been as fortunate.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Bonnie the Boss said...

You must be living right. I came over from VE and just thought I would let you all know that the prayers of the Nation are with you. I am so sorry for those who have suffered from this. I wish I could help.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Not lucky, but blessed. I'm so glad that your home was spared from this devastation.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Larry - Thanks for your compassion. I hope my luck lasts.

Ron - Mojo? I like that idea. Mabe all of Iowa needs some mojo this year.

Blaze - Scared of you, or in awe of you? Glad we've both escaped those kinds of disasters.
Hope you're feeling better.

Bonnie - Thank you for your concern and prayers. It matters.

Joy - Yes, blessed. Thank you.

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger captain corky said...

I'm glad you're alright. It just seem to get crazier and crazier sometimes.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

Really glad you are okay. Watching the news, it's been an awful site and I feel so bad for everyone there.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger ZooooM said...

I was afraid it would be closer to you than ever. I can't believe a company will not offer SOME kind of assistance when this happens? I mean, I understand they shouldn't necessarily have to pay for people that can't get there, but can't they set up some kind of program where people who don't need their vacation can donate some to those who might need it for something like this?

Both nature and the people in this world continue to amaze me. Both for the good and the bad.

I'm thinking good things for you and your friends/family out there.

 
At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very happy that you are OK after that disaster.
Do you feel any type of sickness.


RITA PIT

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

 

Post a Comment

<< Home