Monday, June 30, 2008

Flood Report, Part 2

I've been pre-occupied lately. Last week a group of us did some fund-raising and came up with over $4,200 for the four people we work with who lost their homes in the flood. My company is doing nothing. In fact, during the flooding, we got an email that literally said, "Buck up and try to focus on your work."

People here are very grateful that there was no loss of life during the floods. It was the victims of Katrina paid our tuition for the lessons required to survive so well. We learned from their experience. We learned from their unimaginable losses.

Our communities organized and banded together. Major businesses (other than my souless company) shut down and sent their people home or out to help where help was needed. We had mandatory evacuations. We set up huge animal shelters so no one refused to leave home because they couldn't abandon their pets.

When I look around my town, I see massive damage in so many treasured places, however, I'm very aware that it could have been so much worse.

On the other hand, there have been huge losses that the rest of the world doesn't really know about ... or at least doesn't appreciate. Whole towns are gone forever. Most of them will never be rebuilt. These are little towns where some families have lived for generations.

In these towns, when a person walks into the local diner, everyone knows their name. Seventy-five per cent of the town shows up for the high school football games. They have a Casey's and a Hardees somewhere along Main Street, and that's where most of the high school kids hang out. Seriously, there are still towns like that. But, because of the devastating flooding, some of these multi-generational communities have been completely destroyed. They are gone forever. A few folks might rebuild near one another, but most will scatter to larger nearby towns and cities.

The country mourned Katrina's destruction of the historical landmarks and culture of New Orleans and other parts of the coasts of Louisiana and Mississippi. And, of course, we mourned, and still mourn the terrible human losses. However, I hope some folks take the time to empathize with these little midwestern towns. They might not be important to thousands and thousands of people around the world, but their passing deserves recognition. I'm not from a small town, but my heart goes out to the people who loved and lost all that was ever home.

There is so much work to do to recover from these floods. FEMA has been here to help. The president stopped by for a few hours last week. (I suppose it was a good thing to do, but he annoyed me when his motorcade got in my way and made me late for lunch).

Hey, I wonder if any celebrities are going to show up to help.

9 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

Oh T .... I understand exactly what you're saying.
I mourn the loss of those towns, and the pain and anger those people feel.
They are (were) a true treasure, and one that will be missed.

Do you find it difficult to continue working for a soulless company?
I did when the hurricanes hit.
I quit them and went to work for guv'ment ... even though I knew it was only temporary.
I couldn't justify their heartless behavior, and I wasn't willing to jeopardize my life for their bottom-line.
Just curious ....

On a personal note, I hope you are doing well.
I worry about you my sweet, and I'm happy to see this update.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Ed & Jeanne said...

I went through Hurricane Gilbert in Can Cun in 1988 (bigger than Katrina) and Super Typhoon Zeb (the 8th largest storm ever recorded) so I know about devastation that you speak of. While the losses are difficult, it is encouraging to see how people come together during and after a crisis.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

Where are you darl???

Thinking of you ....

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Ed & Jeanne said...

Do we have to put you on a milk carton soon?

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Ed & Jeanne said...

You are about to be removed from my blog roll!!! It’s nothing personal…I’m restarting for 2009 this Thursday. Were you at the top of the list in 2008? If not, here’s your chance to be. A single comment gets you on my blog roll. Keep commenting and you’ll stay at the top. Hope to see you in 2009!

 
At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This disastrous are really harmfull, they change people life.

Are you working for any charity trust or something as?


RITA PIT

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger randy said...

Hi, very interesting post thanks for sharing. Can I contact your through your email. Thanks!

Randy
randydavis387 at gmail.com

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Kim2k said...

very interesting blog
Where To Buy Stamps
Where Can I Buy Stamps
Does Kroger Sell Stamps

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous FAKE TOEFL CERTIFICATE FOR SALE said...

It was an absolute joy to come across this webpage. This is truely top rated content. The carefully articulated writing is evident of English language skills that can only be obtained with our TOEFL CERTIFICATE FOR SALE​ ​ . You could prove yourself a master of the English language too since we have made it super easy to GET TOEFL CERTIFICATE ONLINE​ ​ . I'll definitely bookmark this link to come back for more informative content every now and then. Cheers mate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home