Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I'm a Fool for You

I looked good Saturday night. It was probably the shoes: classic black pumps, sleek and slim, with a 4-inch heel. I’d spent a bit more for them, but it’s worth it to feel sexy walking across a room. The rest of my ensemble was just as nice, all black, topped with a double-strand pearl choker and rich-red lipstick.

I’d been at a work party, but it was hot, crowded and miserable, so I ditched out and picked my ex up from work. I felt lonely and I knew if I went home I’d spend the night crying, so I bribed him with beer and he agreed to go downtown with me for a while. The bar was a lot better than my other options, and even though I was over-dressed, I felt relieved to be there.

The guy at the bar looked to be all of about 21 going on fifteen. He and his friend were playing at the dartboard next to ours. I swear, every time I looked over, he was staring at me with his big defenseless brown eyes. He seemed surprised when I smiled and said hello; then he just mumbled and looked really embarrassed. I felt bad for him. I also felt flattered and forgot about my loneliness for a while.

I wanted to tell him that I understood his awkwardness. I wanted to tell him that no one in the universe has ever made a bigger fool of themselves than me. I wanted to tell him that he could have a do-over. But I knew all those things would have made it worse. Instead, I accidentally dropped my darts a few times and let him pick them up for me.

14 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

More than a goddess. An angel, too.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gorgeous girl, I bet I could give you a run for your money in the foolishness department.

Hugs

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger afuntanilla said...

sounds like something to see

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sweet blinking happy slut! Where were you (or one like you) when I was a stupid numbnuts boy? Somebody missed out; I think it was me!

ron southern

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Larry – Isn’t it divine when you discover a nearly effortless gesture that can make things a little better for someone else? You’ve made my life better lots of times. That must make you an angel too!

Anon – A Foolishness Competition! Now that sounds like good sport. Should we start with naked stories, ridiculous love affairs, or bad haircuts?

Afunt – You might have been amused. I probably looked kinda funny trying to play darts without toppling off my shoes.

Ron – Don’t let your imagination get the best of you. All I did was let the little guy pick up my toys.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger captain corky said...

I looked good Saturday night. It was probably the shoes: classic black pumps, sleek and slim, with a 4-inch heel.

Yummy!

I bet that kid was talking about you for hours after you left. I've been in his shoes before.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Dan said...

You are such a little tease!

So you were dropping those darts on purpose huh? I don't mind. I was getting a better view of those 4" pumps. Can I have them? :)

Hiya Theresa! How's my sweet blogger pal doing? Hugs and smooches!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Blaze – I just KNEW a Hot Chik like you would understand the power of a great pair of shoes. The fact that I spent more than a few bucks is really for the greater good, right?

Capt. Corkilicious – I bet the gals are always dropping stuff when you’re around.

Dan – A tease? Me? That’s just silly. I have no idea what you’re talking abbbb ...
... Wait!
... Oh my! I seem to have lost a button from my sweater. Dan, would you be a dear and crawl around on the floor with me until we find it?

I’m doing fine, Sweetheart. Smiling at you!
Hugs and kisses back at’cha!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Steven said...

21 gong on 15, huh?

Good thing it wasn't the other way around. ;)

Steve~

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger i used to be me said...

Darts is EXACTLY how I first met my Ashton!
;P

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Chick said...

A do-over?! You hit the nail right on the head with that one...we all need one of those from time to time...but it takes a honey like you to put it into words so effortlessly.

You never deserve to be lonely...I know that as well as I know anything : )

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Steve - We can always count on you to bring up something creepy and disturbing.

UGenius - How come I'm always the last to know all the juicy stuff?

Chick - Thanks for saying those sweet things. You're the BEST!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

This was brilliant! I"ve been in BOTH situations too many times.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

You are adorable, Love Goddess! Wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see it all. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home