Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Pretty Pears




Have I ever mentioned that I’m frequently tardy? Yep, late again … but this time, I swear, it wasn’t my fault …

Even though I walked in at the tail-end of the Miss. Pear Fest competition, the gracious hosts allowed me to participate. I didn’t have time to check my look, so my black lace twirly skirt, sassy pink top, and coordinating wide-brimmed hat would have to see me through … along with my natural charm of course. There was no time to get nervous. In fact, there was barely enough time to adjust my best pair before someone handed me a microphone.

“Theresa, why do you want to be Miss. Best Pear 2005?” said the handsome microphone man.

That seemed like an obvious question, but I hadn’t prepared an answer. I had to shoot from my ample hip, “Ummm… because I wrote a poem in honor of the happy day.”

There were chuckles and applause as I quickly composed …

“There once was this Cat who lived in a Shoe
He moved to Goosetown and knew not what to do
The neighbors all said, “Hey Man! Look at that tree.”
And that Crazy Cat threw a hella Par-tee”

On my right, bountiful curves made a purple sequined evening gown beautiful. The girl in the gown laughed and clapped with the crowd. Oh yes! I knew she had me beat. It was obvious that she wanted it more. By all rights, the crown belonged to her.

… and so it was.

Hey, there’s always next year.

8 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Mr 5.25 said...

Nice fruit!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Monty said...

It's just the warm-up for great things to come. Prep work for a beauty contest? Wow

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, i'm sure you had her beat!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger ZooooM said...

I say make your own crown! Miss. Melons 2005! Wear it, and them, proud. Cash in and make appearances. Pose in Melon Madness.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Mr 5.25 - Back atcha!

Monty - This is as close to a beauty contest as this girl will ever get. Now, if it were an attitude contest, I'd be all over it!

Dating Blog - Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Zoooom - I will if you will.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

I'd say You Wuz Robbed! but it doesn't sound like you were twisting your guts about it. Casual is as casual does, so I guess you had a good time!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Auguste said...

Just wanted to say hey. I'm currently in Baghdad and a fellow Iowan and I enjoy checking out news and views from back home. Thanks.

I'm at http://sandboxstories.blogspot.com/

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Was Pear Queen smart enough to write poetry!?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home