Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Real True Love

I went out for a drink with my friend Andrea last Friday. I mentioned her a few months ago because she was dealing with one of the most difficult things a person will ever deal with in their lives. She was watching her husband die. And then he did die.

Since then, I’ve spent a lot of time wondering about how she makes it thorough her days. We talk almost every day, and she talks about Dale, but I never knew much about him before he got sick. When we went out last Friday, she was generous enough to share with me their love story.

Andrea and Dale met on a blind date 13 years ago. It was after Andrea had already endured a crappy marriage and an even crappier live-in relationship. She was living on her own and feeling good about herself when a friend suggested she meet this sweet man that would be perfect for her.

They went on a date and hit it off well. They hit it off so well that Andrea thought to herself, "This is the man I’m going to marry." The next day when her sister and mother asked about the date, she was so confident with her feeling that she told them the same thing.

Andrea and Dale had another date a few days later. At the end of the date, Dale asked her if she’d told her family about him. She said, "Yes, and I told them that you’re the man I’m going to marry." Instead of being startled or running away like many men would, Dale proposed to her on the spot. They were married a few months later. If cancer hadn’t stolen his life away, I’m certain they’d be together forever.

Andrea told me that in the 12 years they were together, they never had a single argument. Their relationship was loving, and supportive. They trusted one another unconditionally. She added, "I was really lucky to have those 12 years."

I’m totally in awe of her.

5 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Chick said...

She was very lucky...& I have no idea how she gets through her days. Maybe, she’s been blessed to have him...even for such a short time...maybe she knows this, & that thought gets her to remember to breath in & out everyday.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very sad story.
The thought of losing Sue like that...
Would be too much to bear.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't seem fair..when there are so many aholes walking around healthy.
I'm glad your friend has someone like you to be there with.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to your friends loss. I lost my husband 7 years ago. It wasnt until recently that I found someone who was willing to listen to me talk about him. You are soooo awesome for being there for her. My heart goes out to her...

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Tiger said...

Me too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home