Saturday, February 05, 2005

Joe Likes to Play Tag

A little game of musical question tag has found it’s way to 2HotChiks. The point of the game is to answer the 3 questions about music, and then tag 3 other people with the same questions. Average Joe tagged me with the following:
"Theresa - very, very interested in what she listens to, and to see if it's what I think it is."

I have no idea what Joe is expecting. My ADHD symptoms impact my music appreciation as much as every other aspect of my life. Other than the fact that I avoid crappy music, I tend to be all over the map.

Hold the bus. If Supertramp is considered crappy music, then I don’t actually avoid that very well either.

ONE: The last CD you bought.
I bought two CDs on the same day from the same store.

  1. A Tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughn with Bonnie Raitt, B.B. King, Dr. John, Eric Clapton, etc…
  2. Vivaldi’s Cello with Yo-Yo Ma and the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra

TWO: Last song listened to before this message.
Nick Hornby’s Songbook was the last CD in the portable. It’s definitely one of my current favorites. I have the CD, but not the book. I desperately want a copy of the book, but it’s out of print. The last time I bought it, I had to search a while to dig up a copy. I also had to pay extra, but it was worth the trouble because it was a gift for a wonderful friend. If you haven’t read the book, it’s an absolute NECESSITY for anyone who loves music. Check it out at the library if you have to.

The last song I was listening to: Badly Drawn Boy (A Minor Incident) track #7

THREE: 5 songs you listen to a lot or mean a lot to you.

  1. Kind of Blue (Miles Davis): It’s more perfect than perfection. I still get chills when I listen to it, and I’ve heard it well over 100 times.
  2. Try a Little Tenderness (Aretha’s recording at age 17): It was 3am some night in 1990. I was stoned and watching the rain from the full-length window of my boyfriend’s 2nd floor apartment. He said, "Have you ever heard Aretha’s recording of Try a Little Tenderness? I have it on Vinyl." About half way through the song, I started crying. It was that brilliant! Did Otis make anyone cry with that song?
  3. I Want You (Elvis Costello, Blood & Chocolate): I was driving to work when I heard this song for the first time. It was such a kick in the gut that I had to pull over onto the shoulder of the highway. I could say more, but I'm at a loss on this one.
  4. A Thousand Beautiful Things (#1) or Wonderful (#5) (Annie Lenox, Bare): The entire CD is fantastic. I can’t decide which song I like best. Some people have said that you have to be a woman over 40 whose had her teeth kicked in a couple times to truly appreciate and understand this CD. I think it’s sufficient to simply have had your teeth kicked in a couple times. Ms. Lenox is a total Hot Chik who understands that great rewards demand great risk.
  5. The Sensual World (Kate Bush): If anyone doesn’t have damp panties / a chubby by the end of this song, check for a pulse!

FOUR: Who are you gonna pass this stick to? (three persons and why)

  1. Monkey-Man, (aka Greenman), because he has great taste in music and knows why he likes what he likes.
  2. Lu, because she’s smart & interesting, and I’m curious about what she will reveal.
  3. Goldfish Shoals because she’s my idol and I want to be just like her when I get big.

6 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger M said...

Wow, I wasn't that far off. I guessed correctly with the blues (Stevie Ray Vaughn - he kicks ass, by the way) and Miles Davis - don't know why I imagined you liking this, but I did. Call it a hunch. I've got a ton of Miles Davis stuff.

Thanks for doing this, T!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Ed said...

Great choices, Theresa.
And I don't think any sensible person could regard Supertramp as crappy music.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Kalleigh Hathaway said...

I LOVE Kate Bush. Lately the song from that CD, "Deeper Understanding" has called out to me most. I also love the story behind "Babooshka" and I think her "Song of Solomon" is one of the sexiest songs ever. In fact, I think I need to play her right now.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Joe:
Miles Davis is at the top of my list, and if I had to choose one type of music to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be the Blues. I don't know how you could have guessed that. My music collection is freakishly broad. I listen to everything from the Glenn Miller Orchestra to Leonard Cohen and Philip Glass. I go nuts for Bach Organ Concertos played in old churches on big pipe organs, and I can tell the difference between Chicago Blues and Texas Blues. I was really knocked down by this challenge. It turned out to be easier than I thought it would be.

Also, since I'm taking the time to comment, I have to add, the world is a much better place because of the contributions of John Coltrane.

Ed:
I'm glad you feel that way about Supertramp. Over the years there have been a few music snobs in my life who have gone into great detail about why their music is no good. While ignoring their ramblings, I think to myself how unfortunate it is that they have missed the simple magic of "Breakfast in America".

Kayten:
Sometimes you and I think so much alike. After reading your response to this challenge on your blog, I decided to listen to The Cure.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Chick said...

Theresa, I LOVE your list! Annie Lenox defines hot chikness...oh...you are right about that. Bare is one of my favorites...because it's so raw & beautiful.

Sensual World is just what you said it was..."and his spark took life in my hand and...mmmmm...yes" it's hard to find a hotter song.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Chick - Of course you love Annie and Kate. You have great taste and you're steamy HOT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home