Thursday, January 20, 2005

That's Just Like a Man!

Stereotypes generally suck, but every once in a while someone says something and I laugh anyway.

I don’t get sick very often. Since I quit Social Work over two years ago, I think I’ve only had one or two little colds. However, it’s a good thing I don’t get sick very often, because when I do, I am a BIG HUGE BABY! I whine, complain, moan, groan, and generally make everyone around me as miserable as I am. Even though I’m ordinarily extremely independent and self-sufficient as a healthy person, when I’m sick I become a demanding and helpless child. I am completely aware of the fact that my pathetic behavior is so far over the top that it’s comical. It's embarassing when I'm well, but when I'm sick I forget all about the embarassment. You better be playing Nurse Nancy, or there will be hell to pay.

So today my girl Ruth came by my desk and told me that she thinks she’s coming down with the flu. I respond with sympathy and say that I’m not feeling very well either. Instead of reciprocal sympathy, she says, "Oh, for fuck’s sake, I hope to hell you’re not getting sick. You're worse than a MAN when you’re sick."

Damn, I know it’s not fair, but I laughed anyway.

* If you’re wondering, I’m not sick. I had just forgotten to eat or drink anything all day. Hunger and dehydration will make a person feel crappy. Most people learn this as children. I’m still working on it.

4 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Chick said...

Ruth, the no nonsense chik, sounds like my kind of girl ; )

Go have a feast!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Ruth is so cool. Not only did she co-invent the first Hot Chiks with me, she will beat people up for me. And, best of all, she has the cutest 2 1/2 year old boy.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jay said...

Since this is the first year our daughter is in preschool, we've had a constant series of colds go through the house lately.

When I have a cold I'm a needy baby, but horny.

Until recently Kitti was always mean, but didn't want any help or contact, like a hermit.

Lately though, she's been more willing to accept help, and horny as all get out.

So I guess she's "just like a man" lately too.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

I am the worst big baby when I'm sick, and I need extremely close attention, from a woman, preferrably. Unless I'm really in deep shit and near death (I was once). Then I'm brave and strong.
Thanks for stopping by my blog, and thank you SO much for the kind words. I'll be stalking your site this weekend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home