Monday, September 12, 2005

Seeing Red

I don’t fully grasp why people have hang-ups about menstruation. It’s a relatively common occurrence. Nearly half of us do this for 5 of every 28 days, from the time we’re 12 to 14 years old, until we’re in our late forties or fifties. If I continue to have my period until I’m 50 years old, that will add up to about 432 times or 2,160 days of my life. It’s a normal function of my body. It’s not gross or disgusting. It’s simply something my body does. I have to pay attention to it so I don’t stain my clothes or the furniture. All around me, every day, other women are also experiencing the very same normal bodily function. So why are there so many negative responses to our lunar cycle, especially from men?

The other day, I heard a woman say that her husband won’t touch her when she’s having her period. I assumed she meant sexually. God help her, and him, if he’s so creeped out that he won’t touch her in any way because of it. Still, they’ve been married for decades. After so much time, one would think that he might have come to realize that it’s not contagious.

I’ll also occasionally come across a friend whose man refuses to purchase feminine products on her behalf. Is the guy afraid that the store clerk is going to think that he’s buying them for himself? Hell, my college roommate used to ask to buy them for me because he wanted people at the store to think that he actually HAD a girlfriend. He also begged me to let him buy all my condoms so people would think that he was having sex.

Getting close to menstrual blood poses the same dangers as getting close to any other bodily fluid. You should protect yourself with latex barriers unless you’re in a monogamous relationship with someone who’s STD free. For the most part, it’s simply nice clean blood. It doesn’t smell bad. In fact, it smells like blood mixed with pussy. There are even people who like to perform cunnilingus on menstruating women. It’s not really my cup of tea, but to each his own. However, with a good absorbent tampon, push that ol’ string aside and have at it! All the stuff you need is on the outside, and a mind-blowing orgasm will alleviate those painful cramps very efficiently.

For women, one of the biggest barriers to having sex during menses is the idea of being messy. Our society has trained us to believe that men are messy and women are not. Women are supposed to be neat and tidy. We need to keep our bodily fluids to ourselves, smell pretty and be perfectly clean at all times. Menstrual blood throws a wrench in that scheme altogether. If we have sex during our period … especially good rockin’ jungle-fuckin’ sex … there’s gonna be some messiness. We have to accept that, and our partners have to accept that too. The alternative is five long NO SEX ALLOWED days every month. That's 60 days of unnecessary denial a year.

Get creative kids. If you’re a total clean freak:

  1. Get it on in the shower.
  2. Do it in the yard and then hose off before coming back inside.
  3. Have the squeamish one try the blind-folded thing you’ve always talked about.
  4. Most vibrators clean up super easy.
  5. Designate those 5 days for celebrating oral and anal pleasures.

Or, get over it. Put on an old set of sheets and see what kind of huge sticky red mess you can make on them. Call it Modern Art.

Link to Art Picture Here

15 Comments:

At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a lot of it simply has to do with blood and fear of that being drilled in to you. In pretty much any other situation, if there's blood, something's wrong.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Mr 5.25 said...

LOL @ "modern art"

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

Well, I guess it is a bugaboo, but it's never bothered me except for whether it ruined the good sheets or if I had to listen to the woman complain about ruining some of her good panties.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger ZooooM said...

Don't forget all the ads telling us what we need to stick up our hoo hoo and which product is the best for us...why? Keeps you clean and odor free. If guys see enough of those, they might be terrified of what is actually a very minimal occurance. Hell, I'm even afraid sometmes, and I know better.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Kyle Stich said...

Ah yes, the dreaded "curse." The whole bit about buying tampons for a loved one always made me chuckle. In fact, I used it as a witty retort when I came out of the wedding reception in Reno a few weeks ago.

I was carrying my wife's purse to the car and had to pass a large group of golfers putting away their gear. I saw this one especially macho guy eyeing me, and I knew what was coming:

"How's it going? That your purse."

"I knew you were going to say that"

Aloof laughter from the golfer.

"I suppose you're the type that refuses to buy tampons for your old lady, aren't you? Afraid someone will think you're getting them for yourselves."

Needless to say, he harrumphed away. Luckily, I'm a sizeable guy myself, so he wasn't likely to start anything physical with me, but that look blazed in his eyes after I backtalked him.

Funny how something so natural can cause such a negative reaction.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Kyle Stich said...

Oh, yeah! I forgot to ask: Have you ever heard of the artist who uses her menstrual blood to create art? I believe she both mixes it with paints and applies it directly to the canvas. If I find a link to her art, I'll send it.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger AndyT13 said...

I'm with T on this one. What are people hung up on? Oddly, I find as many women hung up on this as men. I'd much rather do it while she's bleeding than have to wear a condom like I do the other 25 days a month. Oral is good to give anytime. Heck it's my favorite thing. Yes, I get off on the power trip of making them completely out of control with joy. It's weird when the get all funny about it. "Oh it's dirty." I'm thinking "Yeah? and how is that NOT the point? Lie still."
I can't understand it. And men? You want that special little trick you like so much? Get down there and suck it up. Really. Sheesh! :-)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Too many people have studied biology in Kansas.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

modern art...lol...too funny...

peace...

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger No_the_game said...

It is turn on for a lot of woman when man buys feminine products. At least for me :D

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Monty said...

I get confused here. I think this post is really about personal preference than a clear cut indication that every woman feels exactly this way. I believe Theresa does feel this way, and that's perfectly fine. It's more of a testament that she shares herself this much with us. Here comes the confusion. There's another blog where a woman made the following post:

http://offkilter.blogspot.com/2005/08/red-alert.html

If I read her clearly, she holds the opposite opinion. This is not a right nor wrong issue, I truely believe it is a matter each man and woman decides for them self, and respects others decisions.

My wife had such horrible cramps when she had her period that you didn't get near her. yes, her doctor treated her. Forget sex of any kind during that 'period'. I did feel bad for her though.

I have carried my wife's purse. Most normal people always leave me alone. I am also not small.

I had to go in the middle of the night starting when I was 16 to get my sister's kotex when they started their periods. At 3 am, the guy behind the counter doesn't care about anything more than you're not carrying a gun, at least in my experience. When my wife needs them and i go grocery shopping, i always put the kotex next to the chocolate ice cream on the checkout conveyor belt. Hence my sense of humor has deteriorated over the years. Maybe some gummy bears!

The ultimate reason I have never been bothered by buying kotex was because i had surgery on my lower back for a pilinidal cyst when i was 20 years old, and 15 credits away from graduating as an engineer (Industrial). The cyst is at the base of the spine, and they leave it open after it is lanced to let it drain. When you are recovering from this type of surgery, they get you to use kotex as a bandage over the 'wound'. I was the only 20 year old male in my dormitory with a kotex belt, and the large economy size box of kotex. You do that, and there's nothing you can't deal with.

And, I'm astonished to find out they study biology in Kansas.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

I feel pretty much the same as you do my HOTT-T.
However, I was brought up to believe that you did NOT have sex during 'that time', and that it was 'dirty'. (Gotta love the Catholics, eh?!)

I do know many women who refuse to even give their man a blowjob during 'that time' let alone have SEX!! (to me, THAT is inconceivable!)
But, every womans and man's preference is different. I've had lovers who didn't care and would do anything and everything, and I've had lovers that wouldn't come near me with someone elses dick during 'that time'.
(I currently am with a gem of a man who doesn't care!)

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I was at a bar talking to a friend about this very thing recently! I'm all for sex on my period...I do like to put a towel on the sheets if I'm afraid it will get messy. I'm typically horny during my cycle so I would have a hard time avoiding sex during those days. In my experience my "conflict" when it came to "period sex" was due to a lack of communication...either he wasn't telling me he was OK with it or I wasn't telling him the same. Once I have established myself in a relationship we have always felt comfortable gettin' down when it's "that time of the month"

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger ilaiy said...

Woman are the most strongest creatures in the planet ... For hell if a man had to go through something like that ... He would not be able to pass it once I guess ....

./thanks

ilaiy

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger London Girl said...

I have both red towels and sheets. No problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home