Friday, April 13, 2007

Women Like Her

It seemed like everyone was waiting for her to arrive, and when she did, I was eager to remind her that we’d met before.

Her hand was cold. I held it longer than necessary but she didn’t seem to mind. I was happy to get a step up on Bill who awkwardly introduced himself. She said his name and how nice it was to see him again. She obviously remembered him. She remembered me too. I suppose it was too much to hope that I was a little more special that that dipshit.

Unlike her chilled fingers, the warmth of her spirit brought a fire to the room. She laughed effortlessly and I noticed how she touched others with ease the way women like her are welcome to do. I wanted her to touch me, and each time she did, I wanted more. After a while, I took her hand in mine again, just for a moment. She warmed her fingers for a few seconds before I noticed the sadness in her eyes. It was a flash of remembering someone or something that didn’t belong there. She tried to recover with a joke and a spin, but she knew that she’d been caught.

Was her sadness a warning or a challenge?
Perhaps it should have been a warning, but for a guy like me it was both. During the next half-hour she stood next to me but avoided my gaze and barely said a word. I thought I should leave but when I said so, I saw her ask me not to. Just to be sure, I stepped close and rested my hand against her back. When she leaned into me and smiled, I decided a second beer wouldn’t be so bad.

7 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

Very nice! Taking a look from the other side?

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

Hey, I know that woman! But, just like you, she wouldn't put out for me... I'm gonna cut it off and send it to the dry-cleaners if this keeps up.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

Definitely both.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Chick said...

A second beer seems to be a NEED here.

You are lovely...that's all.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a little of that touch is exactly. . .

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Me said...

Such a sweet post.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger afuntanilla said...

enjoyed reading this...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home