Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Making Warm Love Presents

To say it’s freezing cold in the midwest right now is an understatement. We’re experiencing record cold temperatures, and it’s downright miserable. Tomorrow they’re promising a heat wave of possibly 12 degrees. Wow! Fire up the SPF 15, lets hit the beach!

We’ll survive … well, most of us will, anyway. When it gets cold like this, my mind always turns to the people who are living on the streets. Homeless folks don’t just live in warm climates. They’re right here in River City. When we get winters like this, a few don’t make it; maybe not in my town, but in a town down the road, or maybe as far as Chicago. The cold weather is more than uncomfortable. It can kill.

During the Holidays, most of us open our hearts and our pocketbooks, and donate what we can to those less fortunate. We dig for change when we hear the Salvation Army bell ring, and we pick up an extra toy during a shopping trip for the Toys For Tots drive. However, even with all our generosity, there are some who are forgotten.

A few years back, I was talking with the people who operate our local Free Lunch program. They mentioned that the people who use their service regularly (mostly adults) often suffer during the harsh weather because they don’t have hats, mittens and scarves. It so happened, that was the year I learned to knit. By Christmas I’d made a boatload of scarves.

This year I know how to knit mittens and hats too. For the next three weeks, I’m going to be knitting up a storm. It might be easier to go out and buy a bunch of hats, mittens and scarves, but I have lots of beautiful yarn, and I like knitting some love into each stitch. I think it makes them warmer. A scarf probably won't save someone's life, but maybe they won't suffer as much when the wind starts to howl. And for now, that's what I can do to help.

If you knit, or have any other gift or talent, think of how you can make life a little better for someone who would otherwise be forgotten this season.


Also, I can’t knit and blog at the same time. Although I love you all, this project is important to me. I'm going to limit my time in blogland for the next few weeks, but if I remember, I’ll take a picture of the results to show you when I’m finished.

15 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

Is it possible to love you even more?
*sigh*
It is.
It soooooo is!
*sigh*
You're worth the wait.

I can't wait to see the pics of your lovely handiwork!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger ZooooM said...

Ditto blazngfyre.

Totally.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Kyle Stich said...

What a terrifically selfless act, Theresa. I'll miss you, but completely understand your reason. How do you distribute the scarves, anyway? Hand them off to a charity, or giving them directly to the people you feel most need them, or...?

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

We'll miss you, but I guess it's worth the loss. Be a busy bee!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Brea said...

How awesome is that?! Absolutely wonderful idea. Now I'm trying to think of how I could make a contribution this holiday season - thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

What B-fyre said : ) You're a super star! Even if you're a totally selfish bitch (for leaving us high and dry for a month. What about MY needs? So kidding, but you know that . . .) ; P

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

You're a knit-wit! I'll picture you sitting in a rockin' chair (NOT a "rocking chair"), wearing a Santa hat, needles clicking and flashing, as mittens and scarves accumulate at your feet. Have fun!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Julie said...

You are a Goodie!!! I've tried to learn to knit twice and couldn't pick it up.
As for taking time off...we will miss you, but good for you for knowing your limits and priorities. It's so easy to get overwhelmed this time of year!
Take care,
Julie

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Blaze & Zoooom - Much Love back atcha!

Kyle - Because of my past work experiences, I know nearly everyone who has professional contact with homeless folks in our area. I'll wrap up my goodies with pretty ribbons and take them to the Shelter or the Free Lunch Program. The staff will know who needs them the most.

Ron - I'll still keep my foot in the door. I can't stand it when people are having fun without me.

Brea - Thanks. If each of us make one person's Holiday a little better, we could do a hell of a lot.

Jayne - ... but my heart will be with you. *smooch*

Larry - That's a great image, and I have just the hat and rockin' chair to bring it to life.

Julie - It took me 3 tries before I figured out the knitting thing. It's all about being loose. Once you get hooked, it's really addictive.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'm so happy to read this! Our "Coffee Clique" has moved inside due to this frigid weather; socializing on the sidewalk til midnight was fun in the summer, but we-the-women at the table tire of our own mere company having moved inside, and have vowed to teach ourselves to knit! The supplies have been purchased, and promises made that, if we can't figure this out for ourselves, we're going to join the table of that Saturday night "hot chick" over there that is knitting her little heart out. (Our coffee shop serves wine and beer, forgive us our first sloppy attempts!)

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Chick said...

I feel warmer already!

I can't believe it's that could where you are...brrrr...

What a wonderful thing you're doing.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

Theresa: Thank you for the inspiration and the reminder. Your energy and thoughtfulness is boundless. Definitely have captured the true meaning of the holidays!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

Hmmm i know how to knit hats. Wish I could do gloves though. . . This year i'm painting for everyone.

I did My version of the aisha/stephen meet up.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Laurie - I still bitch anyway. It's a nightmare out there these days.

GN Girl - Give me a shout if you Hot Chiks need some help. You're not too far for a fun little road trip.

Chick - A hot chik like you should be wrapped from head to toe in cashmere in this kind of weather. *smooch*

Aisha - I give what I get. Lots of people give me things that I need all the time. Sometimes I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

Stephen - I'm sticking to mittens. The thumb is hard enough to make. It's cool that you know how to knit hats. You shold show off your handy-work! And, definitely show off some of your paintings.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Austin of Sundrip said...

Speechless and touched. I was homeless too many times to count. You are right, the cold can and will kill. I have read many journals today that mention the homeless but I like the way you put it when you said :“How do you look a man in the eye, knowing you have the power to make a difference, but do nothing? How do you look a dozen men in the eye, go back home to your warm, comfortable house and knit mittens?

I have an opinion on that. Sometimes life is too hard for us to feel the pain of others. There are too many personal tragedies for us to take on the grief and pain of others. Is this right? No, cause a lot get left behind. But in most cases its not done with malice or even apathy. It's done in the spirit of self preservation and the preservation of thier family in their current situation. I have seen both sides, homelessness and self-preservation. I talk about it in this entry on my journal:

http://sundripjournals.blogspot.com/2005/11/dignity-and-homelessness.html

thank you for knowing you have a mission and that you have a heart that can take on the pain of others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home