Saturday, November 19, 2005

Memoirs of Breakfast With a California Hot Chik

Hooray! I met a real live California Hot Chik (stereotype version) this morning at breakfast. She was FANTASTIC! She and her son sat next to me in the little buffet room at the hotel. Like almost everyone I’ve met here, she was delightfully open and friendly. It’s as if the sunshine seeps into their spirit and brightens them a little bit.

When California Mom sat down, I was off in my own little world, daydreaming about pelicans or something equally ridiculous. She brought me back to reality when she looked down at her one mini pancake and two tablespoons of scrambled eggs and announced, “Wow! I don’t know what’s gotten into me, I never eat this much.”

She must have noticed that I was eating substantially more. My breakfast of eggs, bran muffin, yogurt, fruit, granola and juice, would have sent her into a coma. As soon as she spoke of her huge appetite, I glanced into her thin, pretty, U-V effected face and tried to smile without showing my true feelings.

It didn’t take long to start up a conversation. That’s what she wanted, and I wanted it too. I liked her instantly. We talked for quite a while considering we’d only just met. A side effect of our long chat was that the eating thing seemed to be contagious. She adopted my gluttonous habits and went back for some fruit while I talked with her son about sports. I’m sure she’s feeling disgustingly bloated right now, and her size zero shorts are a tad snug, but hey, I was smart, I wore stretchy yoga pants to breakfast. Tomorrow, she can go back to starving herself and I can go back to my sensible diet.

12 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

I want to meet her!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger ZooooM said...

Well there you go. You should see the looks I get when I order, and eat, an entire plate of food. I'm talking a full 12in plate, covered in food. With carbs too. LOTS OF CARBS.

And Mr. Zoom and I have noticed that our friends who have kids are becomming frighteningly thin after having kids. I don't know if it's a fear of pregnancy weight remaining or hyper awarness and then focus....or what.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

I'm sure she had a burrito up in her room...

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Yoga - The only way I'll arrange for an introduction is if you promise to feed her regularly.

Zoooom - By California standards, you may be a freak. If you ever need to feel ordinary, come to Iowa. If you ever need to feel like la petite flure, I'll introduce you to my family ... (I'm the tiny one of the bunch).

Larry - Is it true that food eaten secretly has fewer calories than food eaten in public? And, if you eat it standing up, gravity takes even more of the calories away?

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to meet her too...but I'm pathetic.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So all in all is was a good trip? I'm glad you are back safely and that I get to wrap my arms around you in a few days. Be prepared for tremendous hugs, kisses and lots of affection.

Love,
NCHortStud

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

Great story, love the unexpected connections with strangers. . . Hey, when are you going to come out to northern CA? We're just as nice (but not as tan or thin or image conscious . . .) as our southern sisters.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Chick said...

Now I'm craving sunshine & yogurt.

Good for you for affecting her positively (unless she puked in the bathroom later...'cuz that's what she probably did)...but maybe she got some vitamins down anyway.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

One of the differences between men and women - very rarely are we going to look at what other peoples plates to gauge each other - we may look to see if they have something better or if they got more food than us (just wait till Thursday and the arguments that will erupt over the sizes of pie slices). We may look to see if they are drinking cheap booze or count the number of empty shot glasses. This is the case with most guys - there is always an expection - Saturday Night at the Rebirth Brass Band Show (serious Funk) some guy walks up to the bar, orders a guiness and says "hey it's only 137 calories" it kinda freaked me out. If you are worrying about calories and you're drinking beer - there's a problem

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Mr 5.25 said...

now i'm craving chinese food

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

I was just plain starved before I even started reading this. Now my food delivery won't come fast enough. It's funny how food brings people together. I go to a restaurant, strangers and I can start a conversation about the food. Throw a dinner party, can talk about the food with the people you don't know. And then it branches out to different subjects. My baby sister associates important events with the food she ate at the event. It's really weird. Anyway, it sounds like you had a good time! Glad to see you back.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Alright, I promise regular feedings. Of sex! Oh, and health food!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home