Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I Believe...

I haven’t been blogging as much lately. Instead, I’ve been working on some other projects, thinking about stuff, and tossing some garbage out of my head. For lack of anything better to post, I've decided to share a few thoughts.

I believe most people are good. Most of us want to do the right thing. And, even when no one else notices, we feel good about ourselves when we do so. I also believe evil exists. There are some amongst us who are simply no good, self-serving bastards.

I believe that even though I don’t feel ambitious right now, I still have rewarding work to do. I don’t know what that work is, so it will be a nice surprise when it reveals itself.

I believe I have a responsibility to discover truth and strength within myself, even when it’s a difficult, frightening process.

I believe the word accountability has been abused in our society during the last 15 years (maybe longer). It’s been used to blame victims and deflect co-responsibility during opportunities when we might otherwise have created solutions. The practice of blame-slinging doesn’t solve problems. It simply creates a sense of self-righteousness.

I believe I spend too much time blaming myself. Ahhhh, but I don't feel self righteous about it. It's a whole bullshit-control thing I do with myself.

I believe if there’s a god, it’s the energy that connects all of us to one another. A bit of it exists within each of us. That’s why the experience of gathering together is powerful; whether it’s a crowd at a football game, a political rally, a family event, or a Sunday church service.

I believe there are soloists and ensemble players. Despite the fact that I’m somewhat charismatic and occasionally draw attention to myself, I definitely prefer to share the stage. I like to be alone, but I don’t like to live alone. I need my independence, but I also need to be inter-dependent with others. I know what my strengths are, but I gladly let others take the lead when they are stronger, better and more knowledgeable.

I believe I know what I want, and the things I want are attainable.

I believe in true love. It’s the kind of love that lasts forever. It’s the kind of love that fills your heart, makes you crazy, and sometimes hurts like hell. I believe it doesn’t come around often. You have to want it and take care of it, even when it’s hard. I believe I’m very fortunate to have loved, to know how to love, and to do it well.

17 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

Oh, everybody already loves you, girl, so cut it out!

Oh, damn another alphabet puzzle!

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger nosthegametoo said...

I believe you have touched a cord with me, as usual.

Theresa, when is your book coming out.

I'll be first in line when you come to Chicago on tour.

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, would there be much of a difference between a "what you believe" list and a "what you know" list? I go back and forth about these ideas.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Spin_Doc1 said...

"I believe I know what I want, and the things I want are attainable" This is what I am still searching for, I believe when I know everything else will fall into place.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I believe self-righteousness is trash...we ought to burn it.

I know what my weaknesses are... and maybe that is one of my greatest "inter-personal" strengths. We need humility to guide us sometimes.

I believe in something "more than I am." But my question is a little "deeper"...maybe it is a fear: "What will I ever have to sacrifice for it?"

I am an "ensemble player"... I like the sound of adding my strings to yours. :) Harmony. Oh, sweetest sound!

I believe I am young, as long as I have this hunger, for something greater than I have ever known before.


You "do it well"... Theresa... I like that! :)

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger i used to be me said...

"I believe there are soloists and ensemble players."

This analogy is sounds so much better than the one I usually use...Some of us are sheep and some of us are shepherds...especially since I am better at being an ensemble player.

That's a great list of objectives to live by, T.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger ZooooM said...

I believe I miss your posts when you aren't posting as much, but I'm also thrilled that you (I bellieve) are out there doing things for you.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Joy said...

T-
will you be my friend? ;)

alright on a more serious note, i love how you are able to articulate your passions, your soul. you inspire me!

j.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I believe you are just about the smartest person I know.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Brea said...

I belive I am glad I stopped by for this post today. You are amazing - truly.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Barry said...

Nice post - I like to read about other's true thoughts and feelings - I wish I could express myself so well..

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Ron - I can think of a few people who would disagree with you. There's this chik at work ... oh, man does she hate me ... total whack-job! Obviously!

nosthegametoo - Don't hold your breath for a book, but I'll definitely let you know the next time I'm in Chicago.

Popeye - hmmm, interesting question. I'm not sure that I would defend a "what I believe" statement quite as furiously as a "what I know" statement. However, I wouldn't have written these down if I didn't feel strongly about them.

Spin-Doc - It's not a race. Enjoy the discovery process.

Steve - Nice additions.

Unacknowledged Genius - Yeah, I don't want to be a sheep or a shepherd.

Laurie - No, no ... you're the coolest!

Zoom - Sometimes I'm just out here napping.

Joy - I like the friend idea, but don't you already have a friend from Iowa. How will that work?

Michelle - I'm really not very smart. I just hang out with a lot of smart people and some of it falls off and sticks to me.

Brea - I'm glad you stopped by too.

Barry - I like reading what you have to say too.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Joy said...

My friend from Iowa is actually my roommate. She's originally from Iowa. :)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger ZooooM said...

T - naps are not taken advantage of nearly enough.

Just like the phrase "thanks a pantload" isn't used nearly enough, imo.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

Ah man, Theresa. I believe that you are one amazing gal and have a talent to express that side eloquently.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

something very odd is going on in the world. or perhaps it is merely us bloggers. But I think we're al going thru something, causing us to not get on here as often. The summer, perhaps?

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger AndyT13 said...

Nice post. You rock. We miss you when you don't blog though. BTW, on the body hatred thing? I feel you. Remember what RuPaul says: If you can't hide it DECORATE IT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home