Sunday, May 21, 2006

Boys are Stinkier than Llamas

Hot Chik Road Trip 2006: Lu and I hit the road for a couple days to celebrate our annual journey around the sun. It was completely unplanned other than getting an oil change and having the car checked out the day before. The best parts of any good road-trip are the unexpected sites, meetings and adventures, the music, and the free-flowing conversation in the car. These are the conversation highlights …


  • Choose direction … EAST!
  • Reminiscences of Lu and Steve’s trip to Montana last summer
  • Leah’s 4.0+ GPA this semester (the woman ROCKS!)
  • Agreed that cows are really dumb
  • … is the muffler getting louder?
  • Eve Ensler's recent article on the phenomena of body hatred amongst women ... MUST END!!!
  • Groth and Birnbaum research on the psychology of rapists
  • Secret Topic
  • The stupidity of politicians who don’t know how to lie properly
  • Decided that with proper training and a positive attitude, men can be just as good lovers as women (some, maybe even better)
  • Changed direction … NORTH
  • Female Genital Mutilation: Cultural Relativism vs. Absolutism
  • Religion and gender oppression
  • Secret Topic
  • Scenic overlook (Illinois side of Mississippi River)
  • Lu lamented that she’d never visited a vineyard
  • Memorable shoe store experiences
  • Lu impersonated the mating call of the Howler Monkey
  • Secret Topic
  • Decided that boys are stinkier than Llamas
  • Muffler definitely getting louder … I need a new mechanic
  • Stopped for a picnic in Black Earth, WI, which was delightfully interrupted by a phone call from the Secret Topic
  • Went shoe shopping
  • Loud exhaust sound joined by jangly sound
  • Stopped at muffler shop to hoist car and admire the gaping hole in the exhaust pipe
  • Explained to Lu why, although duct tape fixes nearly EVERYTHING, it won’t work to fix the gaping hole ... at least not for long
  • Best Western vs. Thunderbird Motel???
  • Opened 1st bottle of wine … and toasted my birthday.
  • Secret Topic
  • Nap (me). Barbie pool swim (Lu)
  • Out for dinner: good food and soundtrack by Nora Jones!
  • I mocked Lu’s admiration of history … because it was funny and made her squeal (and satisfied my need to be evil at least once a day)
  • Kwik Trip: bought more alcohol and received abundant assistance at the map carousel from very friendly attractive co-patron
  • Opened 2nd bottle back at motel
  • Secret Topic
  • Lu claimed sole authority over penile extension (TV remote control)
  • Decided that Mike Myers and Vincent D’Onofrio are exceptionally hot … happily fell asleep

  • Day #2: I took a very giddy Lu to a vineyard. We spent all our money on wine and returned home early. All conversation on the return trip had to be shouted above the sound of the rumbling exhaust pipe. Blasted the tunes instead. Highlight: Annie Lenox.

19 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

3 words: Color Me Green.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Larry Jones said...

Looks as if you might have had a good time, if a bit secretive. Also, is this the same muffler that needed replacement like, a year ago?

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Imelda said...

I'm a total vineyard slut - best way to buy wine ever.

When do we hear more about the Secret Topic?

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Should I be insulted that I am now considered smellier than a llama?

You can tell that It wasn't a guy roadtrip - The only time we talk is for fart jokes, and to point out females and cops. Of course singing to the radio does not count as talking.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

GNightGirl - Bet you'd be fun to share some on-the-road adventures with.

Larry - Yes, a very good time.
The muffler is fine. The exhaust pipe is the problem this time.

Imelda - Vineyard slut? hmmm... I dare not share the thoughts running through my head.
Revealing the Secret Topic? How 'bout by next year at this time if not sooner?

Al - The stinky Llama/boy comment was accompanied by a fart joke. If you don't fart as much as all the other guys we know, you're probably not as stinky as a llama.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Some vineyards are beautiful places to dine as well.

You and Lu must really enjoy talking, whether about serious topics or not so serious.

The secret to happiness is to "tense and release." :)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Aisha T. said...

Aw man! Now I feel like renting a car and getting my bud to take a few days off! I would have loved to have an ear on your and Lu's conversations. Bet it was even more interesting listening to EVERYTHING!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

Stuff happens.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger i used to be me said...

sounds like you had a blast. I could use a road trip, can I go along next time?

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger ZooooM said...

ooooooh. SO MUCH FUN! I love road trips. Especially the unplanned kind. Couldn't have been had by a better duo.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Steve - Like all good friends, I think Lu and I enjoy talking together, as well as NOT talking together.

Aisha - Go for it!!!

Ron - Indeed .... stuff does.

UG - We should plan a big rippin' fun bloggy Hot Chik road trip!

Zoooooom - We needed you. There was this thing we saw, and we didn't know what it was. You would have known, or at the very least you would have made something up.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger AndyT13 said...

Oh great story! Nothing like a quality road trip! Rock on!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Joy said...

How fun! I love road trips! A friend and I are taking a road trip up to Niagara Falls over Memorial Day weekend. Can't wait! Care to divulge the "Secret Topic"? :)

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Glad you had a good time. I think the blogger-chik road trip sounds like a splendid idea.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger i used to be me said...

Count me in on the road trip, it'd be fun to meet all the bloggy chiks
Imagine the damage we could do!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger clew said...

Ooo, can I come? I don't eat much or make a mess!

Okay, that's a lie. On both counts. But I'm wicked ornery and hella fun. At least that's what the guys at the bowling alley say ...

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

What fun! I recently returned from an invigorating road trip and love the open road . . . Of course the suspense is killing me (secret topic???) but I can hold out. When are you going to come to Northern Cal. and do some REAL winetasting with me (Sonoma and Napa counties??) That would be fun : )

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know if you make it to Chicago.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Brea said...

eI loooove road trips. Hope you have a great time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home