Sunday, February 12, 2006

THE GAME OF LIFE: Hot Chik Version

The last and best game of Life I ever played was about ten years ago. Monkey-man and I were over at Lu’s house and her daughter, Leah invited us to play with her. At the time, Leah was only 8 or 9-years old. She was a smart, precocious little thing and a blast to hang out with. Pretty much the same as she is now, only shorter.

As the game got rolling, we started experiencing all that the typical game of Life had to offer us. We drove our little cars around, graduated, chose a career and a college, bought houses and acquired jobs. I was the first car to encounter love and marriage. When I chose my mate, I decided to choose a pink passenger instead of a blue one. I didn’t make a big deal about it. I just did it.

Leah, being the bright, observant child that she was, noticed right away. She said, "Hey! You can’t do that. You can’t marry a girl."

I raised an eyebrow toward Lu, winked and replied, "But, in this game, I’m in love with Rosie O'Donnell. I really want to marry her."

Lu, being the coolest Mom in the world, went on to remind Leah that she knew lots and lots of women who loved other women. She named off at least half a dozen couples who Leah had known her whole life. Naturally, Leah accepted her Mom’s matter-of-fact explanation, and we went on to play the game, everyone choosing a same-sex husband or wife … because we could.


A couple weeks later, Lu called me laughing her ass off. She said that Leah had a slumber party the night before and the girls had played Life. As they were setting up, Leah announced, "You know, when your car gets to the square where you get married, you don’t have to marry a boy. You can marry a girl if you want to."

Damn, I love that kid!

Recommended reading: Shephard’s Alley, 2/10/06

13 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

When my son was 6, we set off for a bit of a vacation on Lake Michigan, along with my best friend from childhood. We met up with friends for dinner in Grand Haven; I can't remember his offense, but my friend and I both turned to him at the same time, "Brian, stop that." The other children at the table were downright gleeful. "Oh! He has TWO Mommies!!"

Turns out they'd just watched a segment on 60 minutes about gay parents, and didn't quite understand the concept until we inadvertently portrayed it for them.

Well. At any rate, not quite on target, but still a message I'd want to reinforce. We let it slide.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Polyman2 said...

We are frequent "game of life" players,
and as in mimicking real life-
I usually get my ass kicked!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

dont you love it when our kids start teaching tolerance to their friends? :)

peace...

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger No_the_game said...

That is so cool. But do you think she will marry a girl when she grow up :)

I wished a lot of ppl were like her :)

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Kyle Stich said...

Then there's always the option of having your piece be of the opposite gender from yourself. I usually choose a female character when playing games like Clue or Disney's Scene It as a way of showing them the piece doesn't matter; it's the way you play the game.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Jayne said...

Great post, loved the story! And thanks for linking to Shephard's wonderful, articulate defense of marriage post. You remain the Hottest.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

The thing I liked about that game was that you could make any decision you wanted and if it didn't work out, just start over. That simple

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Gnightchik - YAY! LOVE that story!!! Also, your new pic is way hot!

Laurie - I can't take a whole lot of credit. For the most part, I was just goofing off. Lu did all the teaching part.

Dick - Shephard was my muse. He reminded me of that story.

Poly - If life were a board game, the winning and losing wouldn't matter so much.

Monkey - Innocent open acceptance is beautiful.

No the Game - So happens, she's dating a charming, beautiful young man right now.

Kyle - You're obviously more thoughtful about such things. My clever moments tend to be accidental.

Jayne - Shephard rocks! You rock! and ... okay, I'll admit it, I'm so hot I can barely stand myself.

Naive - You're absolutely right. Real life doesn't offer too many do-overs.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It doesn't matter who you love, as long as you love

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger AndyT13 said...

Not in New York you can't. Or a lot of other places. And that really sucks.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

I agree... Lu is a cool mom. ;)

What a great story!
The Game of Life, indeed.
~S

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Al - My sentiments exactly.

Lu - I'm grateful to know and love your kids as well. Thanks for sharing them with me.

Andy - Lets change that!

Shephard - You're living it, Babe!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Spin_Doc1 said...

That is a great story. I am forwarding it on to my best friend who struggles with acceptance all the time in this country.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home