Monday, March 20, 2006

Sign of Things to Come

Throughout our lives, we mark our growth and accomplishments with symbols. When we were little, our parents scratched marks on the wall to show how much we’d grown. As we grew older, we gathered trophies, diplomas and titles to mark our way. Some symbols come to us naturally, like gray hair, wrinkles, or kicking the kids out ... ooops, I mean launching the kids into adulthood. Others we invent, like wedding rings, body art and a second mortgage. As for myself, I’m currently embarking on a major change in my life. It involves claiming space and independence. My symbol for this change is a beautiful antique bed. This bed will be mine and mine alone.

Last weekend I bought a new mattress for my bed. This coming weekend I’m going to my sister’s house to pick up the bed itself. I feel excited, the way I felt when I got my first car or my first pair of pink high heels. The bed is an important symbol of how far I’ve come and where I’m going. It reminds me of the importance of comfort, freedom, and privacy.

It seems like there should be some sort of ritual or celebration to mark this momentous acquisition. If I’d gotten a ship, we’d smash a bottle of champagne over her bow. If I’d bought a new car, we’d take her for a spin and see how fast she could go. With a bed, the idea of breaking her in seems obvious, but I’m unattached at the moment and unwilling to engage in a casual fling.

* Sigh *

Perhaps I’ll get a good book and a nice bottle of Chablis.

14 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Ron Southern said...

Sounds good. I'm not insulted. It's for you.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

It's a GORGEOUS bed! Oh, oh, oh, promise me you'll splurge on GREAT pillows and at least one set of high threadcount sheets. I never realized what a difference these things made, and could still hug the stuffing out a friend that made me do it.

Cozy up! Cheers!

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Ron - Thanks for easing my mind ... I was up half the night.

Frankie - This isn't the exact bed, but it's close. Mine is a similar design and it's painted white.
You're right about quality sheets. That was my first purchase.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Smerdyakov said...

I think you may be a tad short-sighted in nixing the possibility of a casual fling solely for the purposes of breaking in your new bed. After all, this truely is a momentous occassion befitting a christening of equal proportion. You shouldn't let a little thing like lack of commitment stand in the way of a olympian breaking-in ceremony.
Surely there's someone you know with a charitable streak that would be willing to help you out for a few hours.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

AC - "Olympian breaking-in ceremony"? "charitable streak"? Yeah Sweetie ... do yourself a favor and don't wait by the phone.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Smerdyakov said...

Oh come on - you know the right way to break in a new mattress. It would be a damn shame if it wasn't given the christening it richly deserves.
And to paraphrase the late John F Kennedy -
"If not me, then who?
And if not now, then when?"

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Ed - This bed is free, so I can't complain too much if it creaks.
Rope? Such a thought from you doesn't surprise me.

AC - Any christening involving you would be more of a curse than a blessing. Just the thought gives me the willies.
If not you? ... I'm presently googling ANYONE WITH A PULSE.
If not now, when? ... Watch the sky for flying swine.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Spin_Doc1 said...

A fabulous pillow and a down comforter and at least 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep would work for me.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger ZooooM said...

Love the new picture in the avatar, by the way.

I'm so happy for you! And I'm positive the perfect ceremony will present itself.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Spin-Doc - Sounds wonderful.

Zoooomie - Thanks. That's my nekkid pic!
Hmmm ... perfect ceremony to present itself ... Oh, how I love surprises!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Another good way to break in a bed is to invite a good friend over for a pillow fight, followed by candles, a oija board, wine and nachos.

Do I get points for creativity?
I love the bed... and the lamp next to it.

~S :)

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Shephard - Very creative ... extra credit points for you. Once I get the bed set up and the room decorated to my liking, I'll post a pic. It could be a while. I'm slow and picky.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Maverick said...

That bed is totally beautiful

and it suits you


Maverick Kumari

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Maverick said...

WAIT! You're single??

Have mercy

Hmmm, I have to think about this

I thought you were married or something..

Tell me more about your ventures out with the womens.

*snicker*

This is another place I've been updating. Only special people get the link ;-)
Maverick Kumari

 

Post a Comment

<< Home